Thursday 19 September 2013

The harvests of Autumn

Autumn is a wonderful season and I'm glad to be home to witness it. Though the leaves have only just started to turn red and yellow, the fruit of Autumn is already weighing heavily on the branches.

In our garden we have numerous apple trees and they always produce many more apples than we can eat.




Every year I try to process and conserve them somehow, but the majority still seems to go to waste. With the extra time I have this year, I have been doing quite a lot. Mostly I just stew and freeze them, but I have also been baking a little: I have made two ginger and apple cakes, and an apple pastry. I'm also planning on drying some apple rings.

There are also a lot of blackberries in the nearby woods. Mum made some jelly and I made a batch of blackberry ice cream but there are still plenty on the bushes. The question is whether or not I will have to motivation to pick and process any more...

No comments:

Post a Comment